Thursday, December 12, 2013

The Andrew B. Hendryx Co. ephemera

Wikipedia defines EPHEMERA as "any transitory written or printed matter not meant to be retained or preserved."  As a self-confessed Hendryx hoarder, I collect ephemera as well as cages and stands from the Andrew B. Hendryx Co.

There are two sites on ebay that have excellent ads and excellent service:  ads4u and gdawg.  Never hesitate to purchase from these sites.  Their ads are genuine and in great condition; their packaging and shipping methods get your ads to you quickly and safely.  I've purchased most of my ads from these two places and will continue to do so.

My ads are matted and framed locally by the same person.  They have the same mat, the same frame, and use museum glass to help protect the fragile paper ads.

My pictures here are not so you can read them as much as you can get the flavor of the creativity behind the ads.

The first ad is for parrot cages.  I don't own any parrot cages.  They are too big and bulky for my taste.  They don't come up for sale very often either.  
The second ad highlights the Mission cages and the Japanned cages.  I have both.


This grouping consists of a full-page ad and four small ads.  Tony, "Professor of Tranquillity in a great University" is a bird owned by the Dean of the University of Washington.  

 The four small ads emphasize the strengths of Hendryx cages and the weaknesses of competitor cages.  They are dated 1916 and 1917.





These are the 1928 Good Housekeeping ads for Easter (April) and Christmas (December).  They highlight one or more cages and have a heart-warming story for each holiday.


These are the 1929 Good Housekeeping ads for Easter and Christmas.





Graf is the first bird to fly over the Atlantic on man-made wings (Great Zeppelin)

Peter does reducing exercises and sings to the music he hears.

NBC features two birds which sing on its radio program.


A couple from the country moves to the city.  The wife misses her garden and birds.  She plants a patio garden and gets a bird who cheers her up.


Advertising the new finish Pyralin in 9 different color combinations for cages and stands.


A doctor starts feeling down while dealing with his patients' illnesses.  He is given a bird to cheer him up and he starts recommending birds to help his patients.


This is a 1934 calendar from H. F. Dando Co.  It features a Hendryx cage and stand.


This is a faded and darkened family portrait.  Check out the right side of the photo to see a classic beehive with pedestal Hendryx cage and stand.

You may have to use more imagination than vision on these:




I am happy to share part of my ephemera collection with you.  I am always looking for new (old) ads.  Please write and let me know if you have other ones that I don't have or if you see others for sale.  I'd appreciate it.  
I have one more group ready to go to the framer.  I'll show it to you when it is finished.

Enjoy your collections.  Happy hunting.
Barbara

1 comment:

Bower said...

Great stuff! Love the ads touting the cage strength.
This blog is becoming a valuable resource for collectors.
Can't believe all those newspaper ads survived.