Thursday, December 5, 2013

Pictures from Jenny

Thank you to Jenny (Bower) who commented on the last two blog entries and sent in pictures of some of her cages.  Go ahead and read her comments and my responses.  

She is a woman after my own 'cage' heart as she has 23 of these beauties.




The left one on the top shelf is an urn cage by Hendryx.  One was posted on ebay but wasn't sold.  The next one, I believe, is glass front and back with rotating bars as the bars on the cage all around the sides and top.  A cyber buddy of mine in FL puts his live birds in these cages.  They are a great way to show off the bird without having bars in the way.  The last one on the top shelf looks like a nice bird home with a mother-in-law apartment attached. This is tagged as a "Happiness" cage.

The bottom shelf is full of wonders and I'd love some close-ups.  The first one looks like a brass and glass one.  I wonder if it has stained glass for the center glass?  The next one is pagoda shaped and takes advantage of the Asian popularity in the 30s.  My guess is that the attachments to hold the top of the cage to the base are Asian men.  Third is a globe cage that is interesting.  Jenny, if you are reading this, who made the globe cage?  I've seen one like this before.  The feeders are on a stand in the middle of the cage.  The feeders are owl shaped and come from either Japan or Occupied Japan.  The last one I'd love a close-up of also.  It looks like it is chrome with glass seed guards.  I love the harp shape of the top of the cage.  It is very unique.



 The royal roost cage is very unique.  I've not seen a cage of this shape before.

Thanks for sharing, Jenny.  Send more of your pictures and a few close-ups if you will.

If you have pictures of some of your unique cages, please send the pictures and comments to tweetthings53@gmail.com.  I haven't figured out a way that you folks can add pictures.  I will add them in a follow-up blog so we can all share the experience.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Happy 'hunting'.
Barbara

3 comments:

Sailgirlsue said...

I love the whole look of Jenny's cages. It really highlights the variety and shapes of cages though time. Barbara, you also shared a picture that showed off the creativity and variety of a single company. That photo is just plain outstanding. Both you and Jenny have inspired me to take a hard look at how I display my cages.. I collect primarily cages that are pre1920. I do have some lovely cages that appealed to me that are from a later time frame. I think displaying them as a single unit is like displaying art with great impact. Thanks to both of you for being such an inspiration. My husband, Eric , may not be so grateful as he is my handyman.

Bower said...

I read a design blog called Apartment Therapy and recently got a copy of The House Book by Terence Conran. The part about collections was that basically, why have collections if you don't display them? I took that to heart because a number of my cages were just on the floor or even in storage. I don't want to end up not enjoying my cages in my life time.
Lucky you have a built in handyman, I had to hire someone!

Sailgirlsue said...

I talked it over with my husband, Eric. He thought it was a great idea. He felt that our cages should be shown off to advantage as they are beautiful. I have several cages that are on original stands. But I also have quite few that are on the floor. I am inspired. I will send a photo when it is all done. In the meantime I will send a couple of photos to Barbara and perhaps she can share them. I love looking at the varieties of cages out there.