Sunday, December 8, 2013

Similar Cages

Sue sent in a picture of another one of her cages after she saw the pictures of Jenny's cages.  See Jenny's display of cages on previous posts.  This is Jenny's brass and glass cage. 



 Sue has a brass and glass that looks very similar to Jenny's.  
Sue:  "I looked at the picture of Jenny's cage and I realized I had a very similar cage which I had bought quite some time ago.  When I bought it the seller said she had owned it for a long time and it was a Butler cage. I didn't think anything about it until I was cruising through eBay advertisements for sale and I came across an old advertisement for Butler Birdcages. There were some cages for sale that were similar to my cage and others that were very different. I should have purchased the advertisement. The thing that struck me were the handle at the top of their cages was exactly the same as my cage and similar to Jenny's cage.

I did a quick search and the only company that came up that could possibly fit the time frame was the E.R. Butler Company located in Boston, Mass. They were established in 1827. They make hardware for homes like doorknobs. I wonder if at some point in time they branched out. Keeping birds was very popular in the early 1900's. Lots of companies jumped in."

Why don't you check them out, compare and comment??

No comments: