Saturday, August 16, 2014

Cage Grouping for Impact

Greetings to you in mid-August.  I hope you are enjoying your summer and that you've found some awesome Hendryx cage "treasures" in the attics and garages.

In a previous post, I talked about grouping your cages for additional impact. There's a "WOW" factor that accompanies a group of antique and/or vintage cages collected and displayed in a single area.  I have two examples.

This is my book case that used to have Native Alaskan baskets on it.  I adjusted the shelves and turned it into a grouping of cages by The Andrew B. Hendryx Co.  It is a combination of brass, Japanned, enameled, chromium plated, and plastic.  On the third shelf down, in the middle, you'll see a mouse cage by Hendryx also. 




Below is another example of grouping cages.  This is from Sue who collects antique cages from various manufacturers.  On a previous blog she sent in her grouping of brass cages.  These are her enameled or japanned cages.  We just call them the painted cages.  On the left, handsomely displayed is a rare, complete, tear drop cage called the Biltmore.  It's hanging on a Hendryx hanger.



If you have a grouping that you would like to share with me and others, please send email with pictures to tweetthings53@gmail.com.  I will post them as a guest contributor.

I am working on my next entry:  dating cages by the feeders and feeder openings.  

'Til then, Happy cage hunting.
Barbara 

2 comments:

Sailgirlsue said...

I love your grouping, Barbara!

You are so right about impact. These old birdcages are very ethereal. They also come in so many shapes and sizes. By grouping them and emphasizing the differences they have interest and attract the eye. We have to thank Jenny as she was the first to post a photo of her cages in a group and inspired us all.

Unknown said...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202497349235 I'm selling a very cool Hendryx mouse cage, would fit in very well :)